Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Definitely not driving in this country... Indonesia

So it is the last night I am in Bali, Indonesia. This week has been more about just relaxing (and not spending too much money). Tomorrow we are flying out to Singapore! Like it says in the title, I will definitely not be driving in this country. Their lines on the road are more like suggestions here, drivers typically disregard them. Most drivers are also on scooters or bikes and I have seen too many almost get hit! Another reason I wouldn't drive is because there are a lot of stray dogs that just roam in and out of the streets. I usually hold my breath in the car because I am scared that they are going to get hit. Breaks my heart to see all these dogs just walking around, looking through trash for food, and being able to see their bones due to being so skinny. Unfortunately it is not just the dogs that are hungry, but people too. It puts life into perspective and makes me really appreciate everything and everyone I have in my life.

I did take the opportunity to visit the Elephant Safari Park here in Bali. These elephants are rescued from one of the other islands of Indonesia. They currently have 30 elephants, which include their 3 baby (more like toddlers) elephants. I also took the chance to ride an elephant! I had the pleasure of getting a ride from Ramona. She's a beautiful 21 year old and mother to one of the toddlers. After the ride, I was able to feed and pet her. The 3 toddlers than put on a small show that displayed their talents! They are so freaking cute! I wish I was able to fit one in my suitcase, but I'm already close to the luggage limits. Putting an extra 800 kilograms with my luggage would be a ton of money.When the baby elephant was born they weigh about 80 kilograms. (p.s. the mom could be pregnant for about 2 years!!)







No comments:

Post a Comment