Monday, January 14, 2013

Checking out the Kiwis

So I don't think I slept for more than 2 hours the night before my New Zealand flight. I was excited for the trip and nervous that I wouldn't wake up on time. Of course it would be my luck that Virgin Australia is starting a new check-in process on the day of my flight. Due to this, I have to be at the airport at least 3 hours before my flight. Which means waking up at 4 am to get to the airport on time. I took a taxi and then an airport shuttle to get to the airport. The Melbourne City was still dead asleep, not like New York where it would still be in full swing.Thankfully my baggage was underweight!

My itinerary for my flight stated the flight would be 5 hours, but with the 2 hour time difference in New Zealand, it was only a 3 hour flight.The perfect nap time for me! You had to pay for entertainment or refreshments so a nap also helped me avoid paying a lot of money for airline food I wouldn't be happy with. The nap also helped refresh me from being up so early and not sleeping the night before. Plus I had the row to myself, which means that I wouldn't fall asleep on some stranger's shoulder (my worst fear).

After waiting about 4 hours for Jessica's flight to finally arrive, we were on our way to the city of Auckland! Unfortunately we stopped at the wrong hostel at first, then climbed a few steep hills with our 23 kilograms (aka 50 pounds) suitcase and carry-on pieces. Once we got settled in, we walked around, grabbed a bite to eat and just relaxed. So far Auckland seems to be a nice city and I'm not going to lie, we have seen a couple of "Kiwis" and they are leaving a better impression than the Aussies. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment