Wednesday, November 7, 2012

G'Day Mates from Australia

Well here I am in Melbourne, Australia day 1; starting my baking and pastry career at a wholesale bakery named Cake Indulgence. First of all if you are ever debating coming to Australia from New York, BEWARE! First there was the 6 hour flight (not so bad) to Los Angeles, California then a 2 hour layover (started feeling like I needed a shower) and finished off with a 16 hour direct flight to Melbourne. That was a LONG flight. However this plane was probably the largest one I have been on with 2 floors and all the works. I used Qantas Airlines for both flights. I must say their service and hospitality were fabulous (plus free wine always helps). Even though they handed out menus to every person and had a larger selection than other airlines, the food did not live up to their wonderful descriptions. So 24 hours later, I finally made it to Australia.  When I was finally able to stand up and get feeling back into my legs/feet, I found my way to The Nunnery Accommodation. Of course on the way, I had a little shock with people driving on the wrong side of the road and the driver sitting on the wrong side of the car, but found comfort when I saw a lot of American cars (made me feel at home a little bit). The Nunnery Accommodation is a hostile and hotel, where I will be located for my first 2 nights here. It is kind of like I am back in college, sharing showers and toilets, people my age just chilling around. I met up with another American Nicole, who helped show me around and get the ropes of everything. I had to work out a couple of hiccups with the company I worked with to be placed in Australia. I decided to get a different phone that could call/text in Australia and back in the USA, unlike the phone I was issued that would only call in Australia. We also went to set up another bank account that my job uses for direct deposit.

After a long day of finally getting into Australia, bank accounts, cell phones, looking at living situations... Nicole and I decided to grab a bite to eat from this cool green restaurant/bar called "Grumpy". I forgot how hungry I was and needed food for some energy. I got to enjoy a pizza with asparagus, dried tomatoes, ricotta, and pumpkin with a pear cider. It was delicious and the perfect meal to start me off in Australia. Ohh geezz jetlag is kicking in. Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment