Thursday, November 22, 2012

Australians don't know what Thanksgiving is!!

Today was definitely one of the hardest days I have had to deal with. I have to say I haven't dealt with being homesick too much. I keep in contact with my family a lot and usually after work I am exhausted that I don't even think about anything. But today (with the time difference), was different because I was missing my first holiday away from my family. It even makes me upset now, just thinking about missing out of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, helping my mom in the kitchen, sitting down with my family to eat a wonderful meal, usually playing a board game in between dinner and dessert, and then just relaxing/too stuffed to move. I just wanted to say that I am thankful for my amazing family to support me with my dreams and aspirations. You all mean the world to me and I wish I could be there with all of you today. I miss you a lot!

There were some differences/trouble we had making Thanksgiving dinner with the food that is available to us in Australia. First, they do NOT have "Libby's Pumpkin Pie Puree", which means no pumpkin pie, because we weren't sure what Australian pumpkin to use. Next, the turkeys are a lot smaller here, which is good because all the ovens are smaller here as well. We were lucky to be able to fit about a 20 pound turkey in the oven. So for our family's sweet potato dish, we used sweet potatoes (from a can, YES, I am guilty) with some butter and brown sugar, and put some marshmallows on top. Well here in Australia, they don't have sweet potatoes in a can and just plain marshmallows. They have flavored marshmallows mixed in with the plain marshmallows. The pink marshmallows almost tasted like the bubble gum tape we would buy when we were younger. So I compromised with freshly sliced sweet potatoes (costing me a fortune) with some brown sugar and butter, with the plain marshmallows I picked out of the bag and apparently that was the dish of the night! Also, they do not have "French's French Fried Onions", so I compromised with some soy chive and sour cream crunchy noodles with my string bean casserole. Also I can't seem to find cranberries anywhere! It is also strange, because in the USA, everyone looks forward to Thanksgiving and then Christmas, but in the food stores they are already playing Christmas music

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving with their loved ones! My Thanksgiving is just about over and everyone in the USA's is just beginning! I wish I could be there enjoying the day!

1 comment:

  1. I had always assumed that other countries have some sort of holiday similar in nature to our American Thanksgiving......I expected different foods, of course, and different traditions. But this year, after asking several students whose families come from around the world, I discovered that Thanksgiving really is a uniquely North American holiday. (Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving last month). Your experiences are similar to my other ex-Pat friends.....things that we take so much for granted on our dinner table are not easily available elsewhere. Glad you were able to assemble a real Thanksgiving dinner! Happy Thanksgiving. (I look forward to hearing about the differences at Christmas too)

    ReplyDelete