Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"Where are you Christmas?"


Recently I have been feeling a little bit like Cindy Lou Who from the Grinch Who Stole Christmas (I might have watched the movie about 5 times in 24 hours), because I can't seem to find Christmas in Melbourne, Australia. It seems to be "MIA". Nobody hangs Christmas lights (unless you live further out in the suburbs), the town isn't decorated from head to toe, apparently real Christmas trees are scarce (if you have a Christmas tree, it's going to be fake), and the spirit of Christmas just seems to be missing. Lets just say "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas"... I love holidays, especially Christmas, but apparently holidays are not that big in Australia. I don't know if it has to do with it being my first hot Christmas, not being with my family, not decorating a tree or two, not making Christmas cookies; it is strange to not continue the traditions. 

So here is my to-do list to get into the holiday spirit (just because Australia isn't into holidays doesn't mean I'm not)
1. Make Christmas cookies with the holiday sprinkles my Mom sent me.
2. Check out the only Christmas light display in Melbourne City on Town Hall, apparently they move?
3. Attend Caroling at the Docklands, a huge concert of Christmas songs and then fireworks.
4. Watch other Christmas movies (I think I will pass on the Grinch this time).
5. Listen to Christmas music from when I wake up til I go to bed. 

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town," are you ready??

1 comment:

  1. Hope you find the Christmas spirit soon! Sending Merry wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete